January 3, 2013

Dear Diary...Happy New Wear!

Happy 2013 everyone! This year I have decided on 5 (FIVE!) resolutions & I'm counting on you to help hold me to them! 

1) Be dedicated to keeping the body God gave me healthy
2) Choose to be happy, regardless of my circumstances
3) Appreciate people for who they are & recognize why God has placed them in my life
4) Explore the world and seek out new adventures with my husband
5) Know and love God deeper than ever before!

Today I'm working on No. 2. I reaaaaaaaaaaaally (really!) wanted to go out shopping and buy a ton of new things to beautify my house but with all of the holiday bills looming I decided it was a better idea to find contentment with a few DIY projects instead! 
I've had this ratty old cardigan lying around my closet for a while and have wanted to re-purpose it. I decided a scarf would be interesting. I really love the blush pink color & the light weight hand of the fabric-perfect for a scarf!


As you can see it was in less than pristine condition...

I carefully cut each piece apart at the seams. 
This was a stretchy fabric so it was very forgiving with my imperfect scissor skills.

First I took the largest/longest piece & sewed the ends together 
to start the infinity scarf.

Next, I cut the back in a circular pattern, you see in the two images
to the right that it creates a nice ruffled look when draped.
I then sewed the ends together as well.

 I also used the sleeves & cut them in a spiral fashion to gain length 
(middle image) and then twisted them together (last image) and
again sewed the ends together.

These are the three components that will make up the final infinity scarf.

I took one of the strings used to keep the cardigan on the hanger
and used it to tie the three pieces together. It worked out nicely that
the original tag was at the top, giving it a more "I bought it this way" look!

Ta-daaaaa! Not too bad for a quick half hour project, huh?

Before & After

In 2013 I wish you all a very HAPPY NEW WEAR & challenge you to see what you can re-purpose from your closet!

Yours truly, 
The Decorating Diva


3 comments: