October 2, 2015

Dear Diary, Installing a Backsplash Isn't So Bad!

We have been waiting for almost a year to install our backsplash. You know how it goes, one thing leads to another and it seems like it takes forever to finish one room!

That has been the story with our kitchen. Finally we decided to take the plunge and purchase our tile. We planned the following month to get it installed but little did we know the cost behind installing subway tile! We just couldn't justify spending $1500 to install our backsplash. (For the record I am in no way knocking handymen, professionals or anyone else, this just didn't work with our budget and we had to find another way. We use our handyman for a lot of other things, it just didn't work out this time around!)

I did some "research" online and stumbled across a few products that much to my hesitation, seemed to have good results and good reviews. There are two brands out there that I found but I opted for the one I could buy at my local store in case I did have any issues.






 This was my "test" area, behind the microwave. That way if I messed up on my first try (which I did) no one would know. I used the grout float to smooth out any bubbles. I have to say I did not find this material to be temperamental at all. Basically if you can use tape, you can use this. However, I do NOT suggest using your good scissors, It makes them a sticky mess!

This is the handy dandy little tile cutter I bought. I was a tad intimidated by the thought of this but if you can use a paper cutter, you can use this! I will say for the price it's a great value, however, it did present problems when we got to outlets. You cannot do an "L" or "U" shaped cut for example, it will pretty much only cut straight through the tile so if you really don't want that, you better spend the extra $ to rent or buy a water jet cutter.



















Here is a shot of the tile going up. I wanted a very minimal grout joint & the tiles were already
beveled a bit so I actually just used the cardboard that came between each tile as my spacer! 
(I think I get points for creativity here!) 
And please note, if you are using a glass tile you need NON-SANDED GROUT! You do not want to scratch that pretty, shiny, brand new tile!




A photo of the grouting underway. I actually enjoyed grouting & wouldn't mind doing it again!



The finished backsplash (minus outlet covers). 
I had never thought of nor contemplated installing tile and to be quite honest was intimidated by the thought of it but this adhesive product is really what made it possible for us to do on our own. So if you're planning a remodel and want to find some ways to save a few bucks, I would strongly recommend considering this route! Here's the breakdown:

Experience Level: Beginner
Cost: Approx $80 (2 simple mat boxes, 1 container of grout, grout float, tile cutter) + cost of tile 
Time: 5 hrs for an average sized kitchen

I hope this tutorial has inspired you to get out there and try a DIY project of your own! You CAN do it!

Yours truly,
The Decorating Diva


1 comment:

  1. Way to go girl. Looks great. I love that glass tile! -JoElla

    ReplyDelete