September 19, 2012

Dear Diary...Turning a Dust Collector into Stunning Art

We're all sentimental about our wedding day. Those memories are priceless and I can bet that you, like me, have saved every memento of the occasion. But what do you do with all those mementos? Most of the time they sit around collecting dust, unfortunately!

The flower bouquet is the worst offender. Yes I went there! Don't get me wrong, I'm as sentimental as the next gal but as much as I cherish my wedding bouquet & the memories it holds, lets be honest, it's a dust collector, and it does NOT look pretty anymore!

After taking painstaking measures to move my wedding bouquet safely to our new house, only to have it sit on the very top shelf of my closet to keep the cat from getting to it, and seeing that it was doing nothing but collecting MORE dust, I had enough. 

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but you can't argue that this is just sad...


So I put my thinking cap on. I had some lovely shadow box frames from Ikea and some black & white basic fabric. 

I wrapped the fabric around the matting that came with the frames, using my glue gun to adhere the fabric to the matting.

Next, I cut (I know, it was a little painful) each of the roses from their stems & laid them out in a heart shape. Once everything was how I wanted it, I hot glued them in place as well.

For this one, I put the matting at the front to give more feeling of depth & really frame the bouquet to give it the full focus it deserves!

I can't say it enough, I LOVE this piece. It is so special & I am so proud to display it in our living room where everyone can enjoy and appreciate it and the memories it holds!

Oh no, the post doesn't stop here! I was on a roll...I also had some mementos from our Hawaiian honeymoon! You guessed it, the leis!

I decided to do these a little differently and instead, wrapped black fabric around the matting for more of a gallery look.


I love them both and am SO happy I was brave enough to try this! I hope you are inspired to do the same with some similar items or mementos you may have!








7 comments:

  1. You've done it again. What a great way to preserve memories. Can't wait to see them on your wall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great! I so wanted to save and do something cool with my wedding bouquet. I told my mom to MAKE SURE my aunt saved it after the wedding. Well apparently she didnt get the memo and decided to take it to the cathedral and sprinkle the flowers around for Jesus. Sad day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies! I love hearing from you, keep the comments coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I've been given a lei and would like to keep it. I think your idea is great! I have a few questions though: how did you dry your leis? Did you spray something on them? Did you hot glue them as well?
    Thanks! Astrid (from France)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Astrid, I wish I would have sprayed a preservative on the flowers but I did not (they dried out before I even made it back from my honeymoon!) I would recommend it if you can. I did not hot glue them, I simply used standard pins (the type you would pull out of a sewing pin cushion!) That way if I ever want to re-purpose them I can. Hope that helps! Would love to see how yours turn out when you're finished!

    ReplyDelete