September 12, 2012

Dear Diary...Tackling the Guest Room

I've finally made it to a point where I can work on the guest room! I've had a color palette in my head for a while now that I've been ITCHING to do- coral/cream/brown. I started the first piece this weekend-the nightstands!

I picked up this lovely pair from a local thrift shop I frequent called Faith Farm. (If you live in SoFla I highly recommend this place, lots of awesome treasures just waiting for a make-over at below bargain prices).



Beautiful, solid wood tables, just not so crazy about the color. I wanted something fresh and bright-so I went with white!

The process was a little trickier than I thought it would be and I have to tell you I'm not quite finished, there are some touch-ups (and cover-ups) I still need to do.

I loosely followed this process from Living Savvy.

Tips:
-Do NOT skip the drying time! I did and regret it, I have some bubbles from my clear coat. You should wait at least 1 day before applying the glossy clear coat but it does look awesome after about 2 coats! (Add more coats for a lacquered look but no more than 2 a day).
-You need at least 2 cans of colored spray & 1 can of gloss finish per night stand as a rule of thumb. Keep in mind, these were not large nightstands either.



















Like I mentioned, I got some bubbles after applying the glossy finish, but fortunately I had some fantastic glossy, embossed reptile paper (from Pearl Paint) that worked in a pinch to cover the drawers. I used the same Rustoleum spray paint from my bathroom accessories make-over post but in a silver finish.

Sometimes these DIY projects take you down a bumpy road but if you keep a positive and creative attitude, you will always wind up with something fabulous & one of a kind!

3 comments:

  1. your project turned out well. You even used the same handware. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry I meant hardware

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may need to have you come to Boston for some decor consulting! Lol! You and Pri could do wonders in my place! Milca

    ReplyDelete